URGENT ALERT: Special Session Called to Address Charlotte Bathroom Ordinance
Christian Action League
March 22, 2017
My Dear Friends,
For several weeks, the Christian Action League has been reporting to you about a non-discrimination ordinance in Charlotte that allows transgender people to use the restroom with which they identify. The serious and urgent problem presented by the recently passed ordinance is that it allows men to use women’s bathrooms, showers and locker rooms, putting both women and children in situations of grave danger.
What is more, the ordinance denies the right of North Carolinians to live and work in accordance with their beliefs without being punished by the government. It unfairly allows the government to overreach into private businesses and churches by forcing them to promote and participate in ideas and events that conflict with their beliefs.
We’ve been calling for a special session of the General Assembly to deal with this matter promptly, before the ordinance can take effect on April 1st.
I am pleased to tell you a special session has now been called. Lawmakers will start working to invalidate this misguided effort by the Charlotte City Council starting as early as 10:00 a.m. tomorrow, Wednesday, March 23rd. My contacts indicate to me that we have every reason to believe the legislation put forward will be comprehensive and pass.
There are many things I could encourage you to do in support of this effort:
- Call your lawmaker and urge him or her to support legislation that fully nullifies the Charlotte Bathroom and Public Accommodations Ordinance. Be sure to sincerely express your appreciation for their support. If you don’t know who represents you, go to this link and follow the prompts.
- Call Governor McCrory’s office and urge him to sign the bill the legislature passes. His number is 919.814.2000.
- Come to the Legislative Building in Raleigh tomorrow to show your support. There will be a meeting of supporters on the third floor; starting at 9:00 a.m. Legislators who are helping with this matter need a strong showing of our presence. At some point during the day, people may also go over to the Governor’s office in the old State Capitol Building to urge the Governor to sign the bill.
But let me tell you the most important thing that you can do – PRAY!!!
Speaker Tim Moore and Lieutenant Governor Dan Forest have issued the call for this special session. Both are good men and Lt. Gov. Dan Forest is very forthright about his faith.
Earlier today, our Lieutenant Governor sent out an alert calling for prayer. Isn’t that marvelous! Here is the way he urged people of faith to pray:
- That we will be successful in blocking the ordinance. I believe strongly that the ordinance as written will create a loophole that would allow pedophiles and sex offenders to prey on our women and children in restrooms throughout Charlotte.
- That God’s favor will go before Speaker Moore and me, as we both preside over our respective Chambers tomorrow. Giving us the right words and right actions to honor Him as we preside over Chambers that will most likely grow heated.
- That God would give us the right words and phrases to use when we interact with the media on this issue. Let’s be honest, the media has a progressive – leftist secular bent and our words and actions will probably not be in keeping with their worldview. Ask that God gives us the right words and that our side will be accurately portrayed and depicted despite the liberal prism of the media establishment.
- That God would grant all members of the General Assembly physical protection during this debate as passions and feelings will run deep, and in today’s world it doesn’t take much to set someone off.
- That our side on this issue continually shows humility, love and compassion, even as we firmly stand to block this ordinance.
My friend, this is no time to sit on the sidelines. All of us need to be involved with righting this terrible wrong. What are you going to do? You may not be able to do all of what’s suggested above, but you can do something. Most assuredly, you can earnestly take time to PRAY!!!
Dr. Mark Creech
Christian Action League of North Carolina, Inc.